Imagine this, you’re a buyer or seller and you’re about to close on your home. It brings you such excitement but your mood quickly changes to stress with the thought of moving all of your belongings. Stress no more, here are 15 fantastic tips to make sure your moving experience is successful!
- Weed out items you won’t be moving; hold a garage sale or even donate them to charity.
- Get estimates from moving companies – make sure your valuables will be insured in the event of damage.
- Make a list of people and organizations—credit cards, magazines, bills—that will need to be notified of the move.
- Look at schools and day care facilities in new area. Forward school records.
- Complete change-of-address forms.
- Contact doctors and ask for referrals if you’re moving to a new city. Forward medical records
- Check homeowners’ policy to see if possessions are covered during the move.
- Decide how you’ll move valuables.
- Get information on driver’s license, insurance policy, license plates, and auto stickers if you’re moving to a new city.
- Contact utility companies—gas and electric—in both cities.
- Register with an Internet service provider.
- Contact phone service—see if your long distance, cellular, and Internet providers operate in the area.
- Contact cable TV providers.
- Empty and defrost refrigerator.
- Map out driving route to new home
- MAJOR TIP: Pack one or two boxes of must-haves— toilet articles, towels, can opener, flashlight, light bulbs, paper plates and cups—and carry it with you so you can find it fast after the move.