Taking precautions to make your home less attractive to burglars is something every homeowner should consider, especially during the holidays. That’s why we reviewed Florida’s local Sheriff Office websites, formulating the top 7 tips we recommend to keeping your home safe.
- Be sure your outdoor lighting illuminates all entrances to your home.
- Cut back shrubbery near windows and doors to discourage burglars from hiding in unwanted areas.
- Make certain your garage door, windows and doors are closed and locked at all times.
- Install a peephole in your front door.
- Windows and sliding glass doors should be secured with auxiliary locks. Special door pins, available at home improvement stores, can prevent your sliding doors from being lifted from their tracks during a burglary attempt.
- Deadbolt locks should be used on all exterior doors (single or double cylinder with a minimum one inch throw is recommended).
- Never hide or store keys or tools outside. If you must hide your key then purchase a lockbox, available at many home improvement stores.